“Hey Monkeys, remember when you used to post training recaps every week? What happened to that?”
…I started slacking and I stopped posting them. I could say I was too busy but it wouldn’t be true. Things got hectic at work and despite my handy chart I let it eat at me, substituting sleep for work (not that the sleep was that good because I wasn’t working out enough!) and comfort food for, ah, things that are actually comforting.
I feel guilty about slacking. I feel bad that I probably won’t get the PR I dreamed of now, and it’s my own fault. I own up to my mistakes. On the other hand, I have five weeks left and I’m changing my focus a little to reflect the things I really think will improve my half-marathon time: 1. Eating better and 2. Learning to pace myself through the whole race (not a strength so far).
So let’s run down what we missed. Week 4:
- Tuesday: 25 min. ellipticizing
- Wednesday: 2M easy, treadmill
- Friday: 3.5M Central Park run w/ Mom
- Saturday: 4.66M Riverside Park run w/Mom
Week 5 (the week that work ate):
- Tuesday: 3M speed run, 1 hour yoga class at work
- Wednesday: 2M easy run
- Monday: 2.6M run in Lincoln Park, Chicago
- Tuesday: 30 minutes ellipticizing, hourlong yoga class
- Wednesday: 1M run (morning workout crap attempt #1)
- Thursday: 1.5M run (morning workout crap attempt #2)
- Saturday: 5.64M long run (was supposed to be 10 but fueling mishaps had me begging for a bathroom after about 3 miles, and facing a Bad Scene, I gave up and went home)
…yeah, my definition of slacking has changed a lot since back in the day.
This week is going to be a great, strong week. This morning I got up at 5AM (yes, the one you’re thinking of) and ran 5 miles on the treadmill. I felt strong! I also felt grossed out because I was listening to Simon Pegg’s memoir on audiobook and I really didn’t have to know about the first time he got a blowjob. (No offense, Mr. Pegg, we just aren’t that close yet.) But I’m still going to run Philly, and it’s going to be awesome.
Photo: Josh Self